UnityPoint Health Vascular Cardiac Sonographer-West Des Moines Cardiology Clinic in West Des Moines, Iowa
Cardiac Sonographer I
Monday-Friday 8a-5p (32 Hours a week)
Full Time Benefits
West Des Moines Cardiology Clinic
The Cardiac Sonographer provides diagnostic patient care services using ultrasound and related diagnostic equipment in accordance with those procedures, acts and processes permitted by law, for which the individual has received education and clinical experience and has demonstrated competency. This position requires application of independent judgment, ingenuity, and initiative to complete the variety of technical procedures.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Performs clinical assessment and diagnostic ultrasound examinations in accordance to clinic policy and procedure.
· Applies cognitive sonographic skills to identify, record, and adapt procedures as appropriate to anatomical, pathological, and diagnostic information and images.
· Applies independent judgment during the sonographic exam to accurately differentiate between normal and abnormal pathologic findings.
· Analyzes sonograms, processes sonographic information and medical history and communicates findings to the appropriate physician. Prepares preliminary reports and contacts the referring physician when required, according to established protocols.
· Coordinates work schedule with lead and/or scheduling desk to assure workload coverage.
· Assumes responsibility for the safety and the mental and physical comfort of patients while they are in the care of the sonographer.
Development and Patient Education
· Organizes daily work schedule and performs clerical duties with accuracy. Initiate the billing exam process.
· Maintain and recognize malfunctioning equipment, perform minor troubleshooting, and initiate repair service when warranted.
· Maintain active registry status.
· Participates in the laboratory accreditation process.
· Be aware of what is happening in clinic/department and the organization by attending clinic/department meetings, reading emails and regularly checking information on the organization’s intranet site.
· Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
· Maintain compliance with CLIA, OSHA, Safety and Risk Management guidelines.
· Maintain compliance with Personnel policies and procedures.
· Monitor environmental conditions in order to secure protected health information.
· Behave in a manner consistent with all Corporate Compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures.
· Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
· Balance team and individual responsibilities; be open and objective to other’s views; give and welcome feedback; contribute to positive team goals; and put the success of the team above own interests.
· Perform other duties as requested by Clinic Administrator to facilitate the smooth and effective operations of the office.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Graduate of an accredited cardiac sonography program
· Must be eligible to register with ARDMS/CCI and be ARDMS/CCI registry within first year of hire.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
· Customer/patient focused
· Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions
· Ability to take initiative and exercise independent judgment, decision-making
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Strong computer skills.
· Ability to work as a team member.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-83737
Street: 6000 W University Ave
Name: 9200 UnityPoint Clinic Affiliate
Name: Cardiology - Lakeview- DM
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .8
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org