UnityPoint Health Compliance Officer - Clinics in West Des Moines, Iowa
Monday - Friday, 8a-5p
Full-Time Benefits, 40 Hours/ Week
Responsible for UnityPoint Clinic’s Compliance, Privacy, Information Security, and Contracting programs. The Compliance Officer will lead a team of professionals who are charged with designing and delivering appropriate, risk-based compliance policies and procedures and monitoring, auditing and training programs in support of UnityPoint Clinic’s strategies and initiatives.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Department Execution / Program Management
· Serve as a role model for ethical management behavior and promote an awareness and understanding of positive ethical principles and compliance with federal and state law in all areas of compliance and privacy.
· Serve as the internal compliance and privacy consultant for the organization coordinating all activities from a system perspective. Respond to all compliance inquiries from management, providers, and staff members.
· Provide overall responsibility for the development, implementation and administration of a comprehensive, organization-wide compliance and privacy program.
· Ensure enterprise compliance with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations and organizational policies.
· Monitor regulatory environment for proposed or existing regulations that may impact UnityPoint Clinics operations.
· Responsible for monitoring and reporting results of compliance efforts and providing guidance to the Leadership Team on all matters related to compliance and privacy.
· Assess UPC risk and, in consultation with UPH Chief Compliance Officer, develop Annual UPC Compliance Work Plan.
· Ensure all UPC policies and procedures are updated and in compliance with management requirements, regulatory and compliance standards.
· Lead and administer all internal and external contracts to determine compliance with regulatory guidelines and internal processes and controls. Contracts consist of provider employment contracts, internal lease arrangements and other miscellaneous agreements between both internal and external parties.
· Develop and oversee implementation of appropriate privacy programs, including management education for new employees and existing staff members.
· Develop and oversee the implementation and maintenance of an information security program.
· Coordinate internal investigations, in consultation with UPH Legal Counsel, related to compliance issues/concerns compiling information for review with Compliance Committee to determine appropriate action.
· Chair and lead the UnityPoint Clinic Compliance sub-committee of the UPC Board of Directors.
· Participate in Compliance Committees at both affiliate and system levels.
· Support an environment of innovation, learning, teamwork and professional practice, consistent with the mission, vision and values of the organization.
· Consult the Leadership Team and operations to help ensure all organization services, policies and procedures are in compliance with agency standards, regulatory mandates, accrediting bodies and federal, state and local regulations as appropriate.
· Work closely with appropriate departments to verify that all employees, independent contractors and vendors are properly screened to prevent affiliation with individuals who are excluded from federally-funded health care programs.
· Function as the Compliance Officer.
· Oversee the UPC Privacy Officer, Information Security Officer and Contracting Manager.
· Collaborate with UnityPoint Health affiliates in building strong relationships in areas of responsibilities.
· Perform other duties as requested by the Chief Financial Officer to facilitate the smooth and effective operations of the office.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Be aware of what is happening in clinic/department and the organization by attending clinic/department meetings, reading emails and regularly checking information on the organization’s intranet site.
· Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
· Maintain compliance with CLIA, OSHA, Safety and Risk Management guidelines.
· Maintain compliance with Personnel policies and procedures.
· Monitor environmental conditions in order to secure protected health information.
· Behave in a manner consistent with all Corporate Compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures.
· Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and clinic compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of senior leadership. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Master’s degree in business or health care administration or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· JD preferred.
· 3 years previous experience in health care compliance
· Experience in health care compliance and privacy and/or health care administration a plus.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Healthcare Compliance Certification (CHC) or Healthcare Privacy Compliance Certification (CHPC).
· Proven record of advanced skills in planning, problem solving and decision making.
· Strong analytic ability.
· Knowledge of personnel administration and patient relation principles.
· Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures and systems.
· Knowledge of Federal, State, and local laws and regulations.
· Knowledge of revenue cycle.
· Ability to relate to people in a manner to win confidence and establish support to meet the overall mission of the organization.
· Strong computer skills including knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office software applications.
· Ability to be very detail oriented with the ability to manage incoming requests and provide reliable and timely responses.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Ability to take initiative and exercise independent judgment. Strong decision- making and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to manage multiple priorities.
· Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
· Ability to work as a team member.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-82399
Street: 1776 West Lakes Pkwy
Name: 9200 UnityPoint Clinic Affiliate
FLSA Status: Exempt
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org