American Equity Commercial Mortgage Originator - Commercial Mortgage Department in West Des Moines, Iowa
Commercial Mortgage Originator - Commercial Mortgage Department
West Des Moines
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Responsible for originating and underwriting commercial real estate loans within a current and expanding prescribed territory and facilitating origination and underwriting of commercial real estate loans for Mortgage Originators II and / or Head of CM, as well
as generating and maintaining correspondent loan relationships. Manage existing portfolios in assigned markets (including annual review of portfolio,) and other requests as they arise.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Originate, underwrite, negotiate and structure commercial mortgage loans
o Perform technical analysis utilizing appropriate risk/return parameters on mortgage investment opportunities including transaction structure, cash flow analysis, lease reviews, financial statement reviews, borrowing entity structure, sponsor real estate expertise
and financial strength
o Effectively present to management a transaction’s investment risk and viability
o Negotiate mutually satisfactory terms and conditions of application with input from Mortgage Originators II and / or VP of CM.
o Exhibit autonomous decision making skills and collaborate with Head of CM, as needed.
• Develop and maintain an effective network of correspondent and mortgage banking relationships
• Develop and implement marketing objectives for assigned markets
o Maintain and increase market share, foster existing relationships and enhance services/customer satisfaction
• Manage existing portfolios in assigned markets
o Investment strategy development/implementation, portfolio analysis, problem loan analysis
o Provide market expertise and devise appropriate risk parameters for lending
in assigned markets.
• Facilitate origination and underwriting of commercial real estate loans for Mortgage Originator II and Head of CM, as needed
o Underwrite and analyze potential loan requests through review of correspondent loan package, analysis of financial data including cash flow spreadsheet, determination of quality and functionality of collateral and review of borrower commercial real estate
expertise and financial capability
o Gather and evaluate economic, demographic and other real estate market data for potential loan opportunities
o Recommend a possible loan structure and terms to comply with acceptable lending practices
o Prepare mortgage applications for review
o Create files for underwriting including preparation of committee write-up/package for review
• Foster communication and coordinate information with Commercial Mortgage Servicing and loan administration to monitor/manage existing investments including inspections, annual property financial reviews, loan risk ratings and recommendations with regard to
modifications, amendments and maturity extensions
• Perform other duties or special projects as required
• Travel as needed
Train, supervise and develop analysts, interns in coordination with Mortgage Originator II’s and Head of CM.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in Finance, Accounting, Real Estate or similar field and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in underwriting is required. Master’s degree (M.A.) is a plus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATIONS:
None required for this position.
• Position requires successful multitasking as there can be several deals in various stages, from initial review through closing, to post closing, along with multiple correspondent relationships and a variety of markets to cover.
• Requires communicating both internal and external with and outside of CML department. Much of this position relies on relationship building.