UnityPoint Health Telecom Specialist - PRN (As Needed) in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Switchboard Operator: providing courteous, prompt and effective operator services, paging functions, public address paging, monitoring and reporting for emergency systems, as well as release of proper patient information.
Medical Answering Service: provide vital assistance to callers who face life threatening issues, comply with all physician requests for assistance and act as office assistant when office is closed.
Security Dispatcher: Operate radio, telephone and computer equipment in the emergency communications center. Monitor alarm systems, cameras, area radios, dispatch Security Officers, and record details of all calls.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Essential Job Skills/Duties
· The associate is aware of hospital and department compliance for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of department or hospital administrative staff.
· Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
· Be friendly, courteous and responsive to customers—physicians, patients, hospital associates, co-workers and/or any caller.
· Be able to deal with complex situations, upset patients and family members, upset physicians and staff.
· Be able to take detailed messages regarding symptoms or illnesses to relay to a physician. Be able to determine emergent nature of message.
· Determine emergency response requirements and notify appropriate staff for STAT line calls per St. Luke’s or Mercy protocols.
· Maintain general knowledge of the location of all hospital departments, elevators, parking lots, outside clinics, Mercy clinics, MOP, PCI, and area physicians in order to give directions over the phone.
· Maintain general knowledge of who is in charge of hospital departments and how to contact them.
· Maintain hospital directory and hospital related community resources in order to help callers.
· Maintain general knowledge of all department phone numbers at PCI to assist callers.
· Be able to quickly and accurately look up patient information.
· Perform other duties as needed.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Must be at least 18 yrs. old
High School Diploma / GED
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
Excellent knowledge of general computer skills and keyboarding / At least 40 WPM
Previous experience as a telephone operator is preferred
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Must be able to react quickly to emergent situations and remain calm
Must be able to communicate effectively with callers
Good problem solving and critical thinking skills
Microsoft Office program experience
Medical terminology experience
Able to navigate a Windows based computer system.
Pager and mobile device usage helpful
Requisition ID: 2021-90548
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: As needed
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org