UnityPoint Health Spiritual Counselor-Chemical Dependency - Part Time in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The Spiritual Counselor is an important part of high quality behavioral health services provided to both inpatients and outpatients of UnityPoint Health. Services will be provided at St. Luke’s Hospital and in the Chemical Dependency/Adult Partial Hospitalization office. Foremost among the responsibilities listed below is the delivery of competent and professional services that are in accordance with the overall institutional goals and objectives, regulatory standards and requirements and their own professional ethical standards. St. Luke’s C.A.R.E. delivery model (Continuity, Accountability, Relationship-based, Evidence-based) reflects a commitment to compassionate, competent care delivered by the interdisciplinary team. Care is provided through a therapeutic relationship with the patient and family. A spirit of inquiry is encouraged and supported. Small tests of change and more formal research efforts are used when the evidence is not clear. Evidence-driven protocols are utilized to assure reliable and consistent care. The patients to be served include adolescent, adult and geriatric.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Provides professional spiritual care to patients, families of patients, and the associates of Unity Point St. Luke’s Hospital Behavioral Health Division via individual or group setting.
· Includes routine patient visits, responses to emergency situations, spiritual counseling and support, crisis intervention, and charting patient encounters in the medical record.
· Communicates regularly with representatives of the other disciplines of the health care team.
· Participates in rounds and case conferences as needed.
· Purposely conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
· Other responsibilities as assigned by Program Manager.
Development and Patient Education
· Participates in providing educational opportunities to the hospital and larger community as assigned.
· Facilitates the connection between the patients and their communities of faith as requested by the patient.
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance clinical practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
· Participates in mandatory education and department staff meetings, per established guidelines.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Bachelor’s Degree in associated field.
Previous experience in a spiritual care role in a health care setting is highly desirable. Related work experience will be considered.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office-basic computer skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
A good working understanding of both theology and behavioral science.
Ability to draw on own faith/spirituality in a manner that supports others in theirs.
Proven counseling skills.
Crisis intervention skills.
Skills in leading spirituality-focused groups.
An awareness of cultural diversity and associated spiritual practices.
Ability to work with persons from a wide variety of spiritual backgrounds and support them in their own perspective.
Complete understanding of the need for absolute confidentiality.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-92361
Street: 810 First Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .10
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: PRN
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org