UnityPoint Health Respiratory Therapist-Registered in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Responsible for the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of Respiratory patient care. Responsible for the delivery of Respiratory patient care, in cooperation with other health care team members, according to the patient care delivery model of each unit. The patients to be served include infant, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity
· Utilizes assessment skills to provide respiratory care procedures to achieve optimal benefit to the patient
· Assists nursing with plan of care development and integrates a multidisciplinary approach
· Delegates tasks and responsibilities to other department associates and assumes responsibility for follow-up and collaboration
· Implements Respiratory Care procedures according to departmental standards, hospital protocol and procedures and within scope of practice
· Continually evaluates outcomes of Respiratory care by assessing patient/family responses and updating patient care to reflect changes in needs
· Successfully completes the hospital and department orientation and the annual hospital and department specific competencies
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Focuses education on health and preventative health maintenance should be incorporated into the teaching plan
· Integrates patient/family teaching throughout the hospitalization as opportunities exist
· Provides therapeutic equipment teaching
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Leadership and Professional Development
· Assists in the orientation of new associates by acting as a resource and mentor to associates. Collaborates with unit leadership, as appropriate. Serves in preceptor role, as appropriate.
· Participates in the education experiences of students and/or RT interns.
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance the respiratory practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Utilizes evidenced based models of learning.
· Participates in department and hospital shared governance infrastructure and performance improvement activities.
· Assumes responsibility for own professional growth and development
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Requires completion of an accredited Respiratory Therapist program
· Prefer one (1) year of hospital clinical experience or demonstrated clinical efficiency.
· Current Iowa Respiratory Care practitioner (RCP) license.
· Active National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) status.
· Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
· Specialty Certification
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Demonstrates proficiency in the manual skills and techniques required to perform basic/advanced respiratory care in the administration of inhaled medication, medical gases, ventilator therapy and the operation of complicated, specialized respiratory and mechanical ventilation equipment
· Demonstrates skill, organization, and efficiency in performing required Respiratory Care activities
· Ability to complete a basic computer course on the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) through in-hospital training.
· Microsoft Office – basic computer skills
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-77690
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.9
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 7am-7pm, 7pm-7am, Every 3rd Weekend Rotation
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org