UnityPoint Health Medical Lab Scientist-Microbiology-Ankeny in Ankeny, Iowa
The Medical Laboratory Scientist (MT/MLS) provide accurate and timely clinical diagnostic information to healthcare professionals in order to ensure high quality patient care and customer service.
·Demonstrates the knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately. Obtains, labels, and delivers specimens in accordance with standards.Supports, participates in and complies with LEAN work and productivity standards.
- Prioritizes, performs, judges, and reports routine and esoteric procedures within established time guidelines.
- Maintains equipment, inventory, and work area, and documents appropriately.
- Performs, evaluates, and documents advanced troubleshooting and problem-solving activities; liaisons with clients and nursing personnel, and interprets data for appropriate health professionals.
- Instructs, trains, and evaluates students and new employees.
- Documents and maintains quality control (QC), proficiency testing, quality assurance, and other records to meet regulatory requirements.
- This position may be assigned a specific mission to address in an emergency situation to assist in disaster response and recovery as part of the UnityPoint Health – Des Moines Hospital Emergency Incident Command System (HEICS).Situations of a critical nature may require an individual to perform multiple tasks until additional support can be obtained.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse.Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff.Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Bachelor’s Degree in Science must be obtained which is sufficient to allow certification under one of the Medical Technologist (MT)/Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) Certifying Agencies’ examination routes.Must meet Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) requirements to perform highly complex testing. Additionally, any regulatory agency personnel standards, which are applicable to the position, must be met.
Certifying Agencies include but are not limited to the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification (BOC), American Medical Technologist (AMT) Certification, and American Association of Bioanalysts (AAB) Board of Registry (ABOR). As long as these are met, any exam may be taken.
Experience in clinical laboratory disciplines sufficient to allow certification under one of the Medical Technologist (MT)/Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) Certifying Agencies’ examination routes is required.
Technologist/Scientist (MT/MLS) Certification within one (1) year of employment
Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
Equipment to be used in this position includes analytical laboratory equipment, laboratory processing equipment, and hospital and laboratory information systems.
Requisition ID: 2021-97129
Street: 3001 SE Convenience Blvd
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Posting Minimum: USD $25.02/Hr.
Name: Ref Lab Microbiology- Meth
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 1.0
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 2nd Shift 5p-1:30a, Rotating weekends (every 3rd), rotating holidays (1 summer, 1 winter)
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org