Iowa State University Laboratory Technician II in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Laboratory Technician II
Required Minimum Qualifications:• Two years of related laboratory experience including one year as a Laboratory Technician I or equivalent level experience, or Certified Laboratory Assistant (CLA) certification, or Any combination of related post high school education and experience which totals two years.
Special Required QualificationsMust have accurate color recognition
Preferred Qualifications:Experience in a high volume laboratory environment.Experience with a laboratory information management system (LIMS).Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology and/or animal anatomy.
The Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory at Iowa State University is currently accepting applications for 3 new Laboratory Technician II positions to assist with human and animal samples.
Under general supervision, performs difficult technical procedures and allied duties related to a function of a clinical, environmental, teaching or research laboratory; maintains laboratory area and equipment. Provides functional supervision to Laboratory Assistants as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Records data from somewhat complex electrical and mechanical recording and display devices as well as from observations from other tests.
• Performs standardized statistical analyses on data as required using computer software programs.
• Prepares and may direct the preparation of standardized mixes of chemicals for media, reagents, etc., according to established procedures.
• Assembles and dismantles standard laboratory equipment for experiments and instruction.
• Cleans and maintains a medium-sized laboratory area and equipment therein, makes inventory reports and performs simple maintenance on complex laboratory equipment.
• Maintains supplies and equipment in medium sized laboratory area and reports stock deficiencies.
• Distributes incoming freight, laboratory supplies, environmental samples, or biological specimens and packs outgoing sample or specimen containers.
• Performs, or may direct performance of, data entry, labeling and processing of laboratory specimens.
• Responds to, or may direct response to, telephone inquiries regarding laboratory specimens or samples.
• Investigates and resolves laboratory questions with minimum guidance.
• Assists in training of laboratory staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of care and use of laboratory equipment.
• Knowledge of principles of sanitation, health hazards, and the necessary precautionary measures.
• Knowledge of standard cleaning techniques and equipment and supplies required.
• Knowledge of keyboarding and computer data entry skills.
• Ability to use proper lifting and bending techniques.
• Ability to communicate effectively with others.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to collect data, keep accurate records, and prepare reports.
• Ability to count, add, subtract, multiply, divide, and determine percentages.
• Ability to work with computerized inventory control systems.
• Ability to use and care for tools in maintenance and repair work.
• Ability to perform difficult lab procedures and prepare chemical solutions according to instructions.
• Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
• Ability to exercise functional supervision over employees.
Appointment Type:Regular with Term Appointment (Fixed Term)
Proposed End Date or Length of Term:October 11, 2021
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Application Instructions:Apply for this position by clicking on “Apply” and completing the Merit Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter details about your education and work history. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date:September 16, 2020
Posting Close Time:
This posting will close at 12:00 AM CST on the date listed below. The posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 PM CST the day prior.
Posting Close Date:September 26, 2020
Job Requisition Number:R3241
Iowa State University is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community.
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com.
If you have questions about the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485. Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email email@example.com or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485. TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942.
General ISU compensation information can be found here: https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation.
All postings close at 12:01 AM CST on the date listed. That said, the posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 PM CST the day prior.