Iowa State University Cook II in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Cook II
Required Minimum Quals:• Two years of experience as a Cook I or outside experience in quantity and quality food preparation comparable thereto.
Preferred Qualifications:Culinary degree or creditsFood production experience in large quantity college, restaurant, or similar dining settingSupervisory experience in food service or retailExperience training employees
This Cook II position is for Seasons Marketplace. The work hours are 1:30PM-10PM when working a Monday-Thursday & 1PM-9:30PM when working a Friday-Sunday. This Cook II will work every other weekend and will have the Friday before and Wednesday after a working weekend.
Under general supervision, supervises and participates in production of large-scale menu items, and in the sanitation of cooking equipment and facilities.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Supervises, instructs, trains, plans and schedules the work of others in the preparation of large-scale meals and diets.
• Assists supervisor in the planning of menus as related to production of unit as required.
• Maintains maximum standards of sanitation and safety.
• Requisitions, receives, stores, freezes, labels, and maintains food supplies and related kitchen products.
• Reports deficiencies in quality of quantity of food supplies or kitchen products.
• Recommends equipment repairs or improvements.
• Tests new or revised recipes and recommends changes.
• Tests all prepared foods to maintain standards.
• Participates in preparing and serving menu items as required.
• Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to judge final food product for quantity (yield) and quality (color, taste, texture, etc.).
• Ability to determine the freshness and quality of raw and cooked food products by sight and taste.
• Knowledge of safe temperatures for serving food and storage of refrigerated and frozen storage of raw and cooked foods.
• Knowledge of principles of food sanitation, health hazards, and the necessary precautionary measures.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
• Ability to provide on-the-job training in food preparation to lower level employees.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others.
• Knowledge of weights, measures and food measurement techniques.
• Ability to perform basic mathematics (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and percentage conversion to decimals and count) as related to calculating or converting units of measure for determining proper amounts of food ingredients for mass food production.
• Knowledge of food preparation, food presentation and transportation methods.
• Ability to estimate quantity needs and maintain food production records.
• Ability to plan, assign, and direct others in work activities.
• Knowledge of sources of food contamination and infection.
• Knowledge of common safety practices and safe operation of equipment.
• Ability to maintain food production records.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Application Instructions:Apply for this position by clicking on “Apply” and completing the Merit Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter details about your education and work history. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date:September 16, 2020
Posting Close Time:
This posting will close at 12:00 AM CST on the date listed below. The posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 PM CST the day prior.
Posting Close Date:October 1, 2020
Job Requisition Number:R3191
Iowa State University is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community.
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com.
If you have questions about the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485. Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email email@example.com or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485. TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942.
General ISU compensation information can be found here: https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation.
All postings close at 12:01 AM CST on the date listed. That said, the posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 PM CST the day prior.